Fleas are ubiquitous creatures that can create havoc in your pet’s life if left untreated. When you have a pet, you want to protect them at all costs. Fleas generally have no seasons but with the onset of spring and summer, the risk of flea infestation rises. These parasites not only infest your pet but also infest the surrounding atmosphere, causing trouble to your pet as well as you. Well, there are many flea treatments and preventives available in the market but the abundance of options can be overwhelming for pet-parents to choose the best one for their pet. Therefore, here we present to you the top-selling flea treatments for dogs.
To make it apt we will here discuss the three best flea treatments for dogs that have proven to be the best selling and reliable products by veterinarians as well as pet parents. Let’s get into the details.
First, it is crucial to understand what fleas are and what dangers do fleas cause to your furry pal.
What Is A Flea?
Fleas are small, wingless, flat insects with three pairs of legs. They’re dark reddish-brown and have biting mouthparts. Fleas feed on any warm-blooded body, including humans. However, they prefer to dine on hairy animals such as cats, dogs, rabbits, rats, mice, and raccoons. Fleas not only cause discomfort but can also engender malignant flea-borne diseases if left untreated.
The major five problems these creepy creatures cause in dogs include:
- Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD)
- Hot Spots
- Bartonella Infection
The First Signs of Fleas on Dogs
The first signs of fleas on dogs include:
- Abnormal scratching/licking or biting
- Unusual red patches of skin
- Pale gums
- Hair loss
- Flea dirt on the body
How To Check A Dog For Fleas
- One of the best ways to check for fleas is by using a white towel or sheet. All you need to do is lay your pup on her side on a white towel while you brush her. If you see any specks of dirt or dark spots falling off onto the sheet then you’ll get to know that there’s a problem.
- The easiest yet the toughest way is by performing a visual test. Lay your dog on her side or back and start by examining his abdomen and the entire body. If you spot any dark spots that look like dirt, you’re likely looking at flea poop.
- You can use a flea comb to remove adult fleas, flea eggs, or flea dirt. Because the fleas get trapped between the rows of teeth make sure you have a bowl of hot water nearby to dunk it in after each swipe.
Ways to Prevent Fleas
- The best and most effective way to keep fleas at bay is to keep your house clean. Regularly vacuuming the house and keeping the carpets clean can be of great help.
- You should bathe your pet at least once a week. This will help in getting rid of any flea eggs or fleas present on his body. In fact, regular bathing and grooming the pet ensures healthy fur and coat.
- Keeping your pet’s bedding clean is imperative as he spends most of the time there. Changing the pet’s bedding at least once a week is required. So, if there are any fleas or flea eggs, they won’t spread further and you can easily curb the infestation.
- Whether your dog is infested with fleas or not, it’s essential to pay a visit to the vet for a routine checkup. A veterinarian will thoroughly examine your dog of any infestation or diseases.
- Administering flea preventatives is vital all year round. Fleas usually thrive in summer, but they are still present in other seasons as well. So, picking out the right flea and tick preventive is very essential.
How to Treat Fleas
It can be more than worrisome how the little flea can engender malignant diseases. But, fret not because we have three best flea treatments in the market which can help pet-parents to deal with flea infestations in dogs. The best flea treatments for dogs include:
Nexgard For Dogs
A product of Merial/Boehringer Ingelheim, Nexgard is a vet recommended flea and tick treatment for dogs. In addition, this palatable chew also treats American dog tick, lone star tick, brown dog tick, and black-legged tick. This is a monthly treatment that starts eliminating fleas within 8 hours and kills 100% adult fleas in 24 hours and ticks within 48 hours of administration.
Frontline Plus For Dogs
Frontline is one of the best selling flea treatments of the year. It’s been in the market for a long time and over the years, its efficacy has only improved. It is a topical treatment that is effective against fleas and ticks. Frontline Plus is waterproof and remains active even when the dog goes swimming or bathing. The active ingredients, Fipronil and (s)-methoprene, work actively against the parasites and eliminates fleas within 12 hours and ticks within 24 hours of administration.
Bravecto For Dogs
Bravecto is a uniquely formulated chew for flea and tick treatment in dogs. This powerful oral product starts acting within 2 hours of administration and kills 99% of adult fleas in 8 hours and 100% ticks in 12 hours. It also controls further infestation of fleas for 12 weeks and prevents lone star ticks for 8 weeks. Bravecto has a palatable flavor and works for 3 months. In this duration, the active ingredient Fluralaner shows its acaricidal properties thereby killing and preventing fleas and ticks. Fluralaner also reduces the viable egg production of parasites and hence controls further infestations.
Choosing the right flea treatment can be easy if you know what product works best for your pup. However, it is always wise to consult your vet before using any flea treatments for your dog.